Sunday, March 23, 2008

I'm Coming To Visit

Hello Franchise,

I'm going to be in your area in two weeks and I want to come by for a consultation.....

What are you thinking at that point? Let me guess.

I'm too busy. I don't need anything. I don't want to be inspected. I don't want her to see what I am doing. I don't want to hear the latest propaganda from the corporate office. She is just a spy for the corporate office. She is just looking for something to write me up for. I haven't done anything she asked me to do last time she came. She is going to hit me up for the paperwork I havne't turned in.

What am I thinking? You might be surprised.

I want to be kept in the loop of what you are doing so I can help you stay on the right path. I need to be able to tell the corporate office how you are doing. I want to make sure you know about all the new programs we are launching. I want to know if you need any special training so I can get it arranged. I want to find out what you are doing that is working well so I can pass it on to the other franchisees.
I want to make sure that the customer is getting a consistant experience so the brand is protected and everyone's business stays valuable.

I am comming to visit you in a couple of weeks and I hope you have your agenda of things to talk about ready so that we talk about what you want to talk about, not the list of things that just went through your mind when I said I was coming.

Fran

2 comments:

michael webster said...

Do you think a written agenda is a good idea for both parties?

Fran Rep said...

I do think a written agenda is a good idea for both parties. First the rep should find out the franchisees agenda. If it isn't "their agenda" then they aren't interested anyway. They are interested in their agenda and the things they think are their ideas. So we look at their agenda and then I try to ask enough questions to bring them around to my agenda. If we don't change their beliefs and their thinking, we won't change their behavior.

In a perfect world, there should be a written agenda and a rough idea of how long each topic should take to discuss so we schedule enought time to cover everything.
I am usually lucky if I get a verbal agenda, let alone a written one, let alone a time table, but this is an ideal to strive for and new franchisees can be trained the right way from the beginning.

Thanks for the question.