Sunday, March 30, 2008

Franchise Visit Agendas

Greetings,

There was a comment/question on the last blog about agendas. Please read the question and answer.

Having an agenda is a great thing. Sticking to the agenda even loosly is an even better thing. I suggest both sides have a written agenda for a visit. Actually, it shouldn't be called a visit, it should be called a "business consultation". That helps make it more professional and have a great likelyhood for it to accomplish something. You relatives come to "visit".

First, either the representitive should call and ask you about coming for a business consultation and asking for an meeting day, time, agenda, and time period available.
It works the same way if you call as a franchisee and set up the appointment. Then the rep should type out the agenda with your issues and their issues with approximate times alocationed for each topic and send it to you. If you told the rep you have 2 hours to meet, but the agenda is full enough for 6 hours, then you should be able to select the critical issues that you wish to cover or change the time you will have to spend together before it is finalized.

I do this, and then I double check that everything is set before I make plane reservations. Then I send the franchisee a reminder email about the vist, then I call again a couple of days before I show up.

Unfortunately, about 1 in 20 visits, I arrive to find the franchisee gone or too busy to meet and I am redirected to a secretary. I am not happy when this happens. Aside from being rude, it is a tremendous waste of money and the franchisee will be put on my list of people I rarely visit, unless it was unavoidable.

Franchisees, please keep in mind that I am coming to help you and we only have so much time each year together. If I arrive and you want to ignore the agenda and spend your time telling me about your vacation, kids, going to the bank, and taking every call that comes in the office, I will still be sorry when you go out of business.

Fran

No comments: