Wednesday, January 16, 2008

If I Buy A Franchise, Do I Need To Know How To Use A Computer

Greetings from Nebraska,

Today I visited a new franchise with new franchisees. They were struggling with the business part of their business, due to lack of computer skills. ANY computer skills!!!!!

Unfortunately knowing at least basic computer skills is necessary. This franchisee in Nebraska has a big hill to climb. When he asked how to save a file, I knew he was in trouble. Then when I told him to check his Internet connection, he of course didn't know how, so he wrote everything down........"Start" "Control Panel".........

We did some basic "Cut and Paste", how to check E-Mail, how to back up the files, and how to print. This is someone that just bought a new business and needs to be spending time getting customers. Instead he will be fumbling around on the computer half the time. I encouraged him to get "Video Professor" or take a basic class or something, but he didn't think it would be necessary. I visit one other franchise that has someone that also doesn't know computer basics. They have only a few customers because they spend half their time writing out their work, their customer information, their checks, their invoices, etc.

Yes, you need to know how to use a computer if you buy a franchise. Even if you have someone that is going to be your office person, you still need to know the basics. You will need to know some Windows basics. Better still, some Microsoft Office basics. Starting up a new business is not the time to spend hours trying to figure out how to attach a file to E-mail.

Fran

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran:

I can empathize with your plight. I am an ex-corporate employee of a multi-national franchise company. What I saw there put a spin on the classic American Dream.

To begin, the folks that bought a franchise fell into one of 3 categories:

1) I want to be my own boss - even though my qualifications are wafer-thin, I have the emotional IQ of a pre-schooler, and running my own business will surely result in financial ruin at best or starvation at worst for myself and my blissfully ignorant family, who up to now have no idea of my unsuitability for anything other than wage-slave drudgery. (My apologies for the run-on sentence.)

2) I want to buy a job - because my chances of securing employment in any other way are both hopeless and delusional. This category is also known in the industry as "Somebody Died" meaning, the franchise candidate has come into life insurance money and as a result, can now join the ranks of the employed.

3) I have done my homework regarding this business, I am business-savvy and I have the capital to fall back on. I am realistic about the hard work needed to be successful. Needless to say, the 3rd category was a rare breed indeed.

The people in category 1 made an emotional decision and were on their way to regretting it, some sooner than others. One woman had a nervous breakdown while struggling to remove the shrink-wrap from the startup equipment and another said "No Mas" before the ink was dry on his business cards. Category 1 franchisees or "Zees" (as we called them) were a real trial for our field reps.

Category 2's were often unconscious incompetents who were about to add owning a franchise to their tailspin of career failures. Their bungling was often hilarious - but not so funny for franchise reps who had to deal with them.

Category 3's were a joy in comparison, but the "craziness", as you put it, did not stop at the Ones & Twos. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I look forward to your comments.

Gladys Friday