Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hotels- A Franchise Reps Home

Greetings from the road,

I wanted to comment about some of my favorite and least favorite hotels.
First, let me say that I stay in mid-priced hotels usually in the Intercontinental Hotels chain for work. For personal trips I have stayed at great hotels, but I will keep this to business.

My favorite two are a tie. First is the Holiday Inn Express in Hot Springs, AR and second place goes to Holiday Inn Express in Grand Prairie, TX. Both of these hotels go the extra mile. They are very hospitable, they have sacks of snacks and water waiting in the rooms for Priority members and they automatically upgrade you to a better room. Both have above average breakfasts, with additional hot food. Hot Springs has ham, (real ham), eggs, breakfast sandwiches, and much more. Of the 50 different hotels I have stayed at this year, they have the best free breakfast. They are also the only ones with free postcards and old towels that you can take and keep.

Some of my least favorite hotels are an old La Quinta in Irving, TX , Holiday Inn in Nashville, TN, and Holiday Inn of the Westbank in New Orleans. These hotels had outside doors, were old, dirty, and scary and I would never stay there again.

In Birmingham, AL I was given the wrong room number and was trying to get into the wrong room with my key. A man in the shower came to the door and told me he already had that room. In North Carolina, I was in a room and they gave a key to my room to someone that just checked in and the man came into the room. I don't know who scared who more.

I have several that are in between, but I will be commenting on these along with the franchise visits.

The idea of a franchise is more or less to give licenses to people who want to follow your business model and take advantage of the established processes to grow a business. If you go into Subway, you know what you are going to see on the menu. They aren't offering BBQ and steaks and offering to deliver it to your house. Same with any franchise, you go to the hotel, store, restaurant, etc, you know what you should expect. The problems is......human nature. The problem is........a franchisee thinks they are Donald Trump and they can change the business into what they think it should be. That's where the problems starts. It is kind of like finding the person of your dreams to marry. Your perfect, lets get married, now you need to change.

That's where I come in.

2 comments:

Rajesh said...

London hotel business is booming this day, and among them courthouse hotel is being like the most by Guests. I think the main reason would be because it comes under the Kempinski Group, which is 1 of the biggest group of hotel chain in the world.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.