Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Franchise Support- Do My Fees Pay For That?

Greetings form the road,

I am currently in Alabama providing support to franchisees who have been in business several years. What I offer hear is "I pay for you to help me when I send in my money to corporate each week". "The royalty I pay is for your salary so you need to do things for me" is common. Actually, that isn't true at all.

All franchise agreements have some common points. This is one of them. Yes, EVERY franchise agreement says that the royalty is for use of the name, the brand, the license to do business as this name, etc. Nothing physical. No equipment. No support.

It does say that inital training, and start-up help will be given, and other support AS DEEMED NECESSARY. We the reps decide what is necessary and how much help you will get, not you.

Most franchise organizations will help you all they can because they want you to be successful. BUT, don't think that the support person works for you or will drop everything to fit their help into your schedule.

My phone was just ringing. At 7:30 pm. It was ringing at 7:30 am also. I will let the franchisees calling me now leave a message and then listen to it. If it is an emergency, which it won't be because they haven't even opened for business and don't have any employees or customers, then I will call them back. Otherwise, I am off duty.

Those of you that already own a franchise-remember we have personal lives and personal time too.

Fran

No comments: